Airport Information: The closest airport to our event is Kansas City International Airport (MCI).
Airport Transportation: Washburn University, in collaboration with Visit Topeka Inc., is delighted to offer complimentary shuttle services between Kansas City International Airport and Topeka (KS) on May 12th and May 13rd, 2024. Return shuttles to the airport will be available on May 18th, 2023.
To help us coordinate transfers, please forward your flight details to Ms. Melissa Sowers at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Please note that you must book for the shuttle service at least three weeks prior to the conference. If you require special assistance, such as wheelchair access, please let us know in advance
Transportation between Conference Venue and Hotels. Transportation will be provided to convey delegates from the three off-campus hotels to the campus or the various conference locations.
General Information: Foreign citizens visiting the United States typically need to obtain a visa. We strongly recommend that you plan your travel and apply for a visa well in advance of registration. Please be aware that in some countries, the number of visas processed by consulates and embassies is limited, and appointment wait times can be substantial.
Disclaimer: The information provided below is meant to assist conference attendees with their travel arrangements. Each individual is responsible for researching and meeting the specific entry requirements for the United States. The Academy of African Business and Development (AABD) has no control over visa application outcomes. While a visa letter from AABD is not required to initiate the application process, we can provide one to assist you.
For Participants with Finalized Submissions: AABD can furnish a "Submitter Invitation Letter" to aid in your travel preparations to the United States. This letter will be available to individuals with a formal role in a finalized submission from November 2023 through the submission deadline on January 15, 2024. Please note that while a finalized submission will be considered for the program, it may not guarantee acceptance.
For Registrants: AABD can provide a "Registration Letter" to facilitate your travel plans to the United States. To obtain a Registration Letter, you must be registered to attend the AABD annual conference. Requests without payment cannot be accommodated. Access to specific letter types is contingent upon meeting the criteria outlined above.
Additional Resources: To assist you further with your travel planning, please refer to the following links
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Visit the United States
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Forms and Guides
- U.S. Embassy: Websites of U.S. Embassies, Consulates, Diplomatic Missions, and Offices Providing Consular Services
- U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs: Visa Information
- U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs: Travel Information
- U.S. Department of State – Bureau of Consular Affairs: Update on Change to U.S. Travel Policy Requiring COVID-19 Vaccination for Nonimmigrant Travel. Last updated 4 May 2023
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Travelers’ Health Information
If you require letters to support your visa application, please send your request via email to the Conference Chair, Prof. Norma Juma (email@example.com).
Option 1: Hotel Topeka at City CenterStandard Room rates:
$89 plus tax and fees per room without breakfast.- Please note that your room rate will be reduced from $99 to $89 if you choose not to have breakfast at the hotel and inform them upon arrival.
$99 plus tax and fees per room includes breakfast; an additional $10 per guest staying in the room (max of 4 guests per room).
Rate Range: $89.00 to $159.00
Participants should book directly with the hotel using the information:
Group Code : AABD24
Réservations Links :
Deadline for room reservation: May/09/2024
Free shuttle service to the Campus and other conference venues.
Option 2: SpringHill Suites, TopekaRates: $125.00 includes breakfast, parking and WIFI included in rate
Reservation Link Book Your Group/Corporate Rate | Marriott International
Start Date: Saturday, May 11, 2024
End Date: Monday, May 20, 2024
Last Day to Book: Thursday, April 11, 2024
Participants should book directly with the hotel using the link provided above. NO shuttle service to the Campus
Option 3: Cyrus Hotel by Marriott Bonvoy™Website: Boutique Hotel in Topeka, Kansas | Cyrus Hotel Participants should book directly with the hotel. Free shuttle service to the Campus
Option 4: Limited hostel accommodation is available at a subsidized rate.
Students Residential Living: The cost for a single room is $30 a night and a double room is $25.
To secure appropriate accommodation students should send the following information to Ms. Melissa Sowers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1)Your arrival and departure dates, as well as your gender, to secure appropriate accommodation.
2)Your flight details, if you wish to utilize the complimentary shuttle service from Kansas City International Airport to Topeka. It's important to book this service at least three weeks before the conference. If you require special assistance, such as wheelchair accessibility, please inform us well in advance.
This year’s conference theme, “Sustainable Development - Stakeholder Engagement and Participation,” aims to explore stakeholder engagement and their crucial role in achieving sustainable development goals, both in Africa and within the global economy.
About the Conference
We invite researchers and experts to submit their original and high-quality research papers, case studies, and innovative practices related to the following sub-themes:
- Effective strategies for stakeholder engagement in sustainable development
- Stakeholder participation in environmental conservation and resource management
- Engaging communities for social and economic development
- Stakeholder engagement in sustainable urban planning and design
- Harnessing technology and innovation for inclusive stakeholder engagement
- Promoting responsible business practices through stakeholder collaboration
- Engaging indigenous communities in sustainable development initiatives
- Stakeholder involvement in climate change adaptation and mitigation efforts
- Engaging youth and future generations for sustainable development
- Stakeholder engagement in sustainable tourism and cultural preservation